The new Silver W12 active subwoofer introduces a number of new design developments housed in a compact high power unit. A new 500 watt DSP controlled amplifier utilises advanced switch-mode power conversion techniques and superior processing to increase dynamic control and deliver far greater head-room. The W12’s sealed box construction ensures that this potent unity of power and control delivers tight, fast and tuneful bass all the way down to a thunderous 22Hz in a typical room set up. The sealed box, front-firing driver design makes for easy installation and EQ where close proximity to a room boundary may be necessary.
The W-12 also features Monitor Audio’s proprietary and innovative APC (Automatic Position Correction) system, which uses a microphone and test tones to identify detrimental room modes and correct frequency response for the room and position automatically. This simple and quick process will ensure perfectly optimised seismic bass quality in any room.
- Ultra long throw 12” driver featuring concave ‘dished’ C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminium/Magnesium) cone.
- Triple suspended driver for ultimate linearity, ensuring control at high power and long excursions.
- Oversized black anodized 3” driver voice coil provides high power handling and low distortion.
- Powerful 500 watt RMS Class-D amplifier ensures instantaneous high current delivery.
- DSP processing with driver optimisation and crossover performed digitally.
- Monitor Audio developed Automatic Position Correction® (APC) optimises response for room acoustics.
- USB input for firmware updates.
- Three pre-set EQ mode settings (Music, Movie, Impact).
- 12 volt trigger provides switching control from AV amp or processor.
- 25mm (1”) MDF construction.
- Heavy radial cabinet bracing.
- Top mounted control panel for easy access to main features.
- Selected real wood veneer or high gloss piano finishes.
Low Frequency Response
20Hz (Typical IEC room)
Upper Frequency Limit
40 - 120Hz Variable
Low Pass Filter Alignment
Active 4th order 24dB/Octave
Amplifier Power Output
Class-D amplifier with Switch mode power supply (SMPSU)
Bass EQ Profiles
1: Movie, 2: Music, 3: Impact
0 & 81 degrees
Line Level >2mV
Input Level Requirements
Standby after 20 minutes if no signal sensed
1 x 12" C-CAM® sub-woofer driver featuring triple suspension and 3" long throw voice coil
12v Trigger Input
5 - 12v via 3.5mm mono mini-jack socket
Cabinet Dimensions: (H x W x D)(Excluding Grille & Amp)
340 x 340 x 380mm
(13 3/8 x 13 3/8 x 14 15/16 inch)
Cabinet Dimensions: (H x W x D)(Including Grille & Amp & Feet)
370 x 340 x 410mm
(14 9/16 x 13 3/8 x 16 1/8 inch)
Mains Input Voltage
110 - 120 Vac / 220 - 240 Vac 50/60Hz (Electronically Auto selected)
400 Watts / 0.5 Watts in Standby (ErP approved)
20.1Kg (44 lb 4 oz)
Silver 10 5.1 System Review
“Monitor’s impressive Silver series is a triumph, a treat to hear, and well worth seeking out for a serious audition.”
“Overall, the fit and finish of the speakers is impeccable.”
“With the W-12 in tow, the Silver 10s demonstrated that they could compete with the big boys.”
“The W-12 is clearly an audiophile-quality subwoofer, and more than satisfying on music.”
“...on well-recorded material (both music and movies—I never felt the need for the Integra’s THX Re-Eq on the latter), their sound was open and detailed, with an appealingly real sparkle and liveliness.”
“In conveying the movie’s extreme dynamics, natural dialogue, precise scene-to-scene ambience, and (most notably) astonishing score, the Silvers left nothing on the table."
“Even on quieter films, the Silvers left a positive vibe. Anonymous, a vastly underrated movie from 2011, consists mainly of clean dialogue punctuated by a sweet score that sneaks up on you. On the Silvers, it reminded me once again that a good surround system isn’t just for action.”
"Honestly, I couldn’t have wished for more from any system.”
High tech features make room-friendly 6AV12 system system "Unfailingly Enjoyable"
New Silver’s accomplished tech has impressed AVForums’ Ed Selley. Ed has lived with many larger systems, but what sets the 6AV12 apart even from more expensive rivals is the way it has weaved specialised features with a smaller footprint to deliver truly cinematic replay from a room-friendly design. Awarding a coveted ‘recommended’ badge, he concludes that
“…while it looks excellent, this is a package that delivers sonically too. The performance is exciting but easy to live with and the dedicated surround speakers and clever subwoofer setup software give these speakers a cinematic performance that is unfailingly enjoyable. If you want a speaker package that delivers on sound and aesthetics, this is a great place to start looking”.
"Stunning build quality."
Home Cinema Choice found the Silver 6 AV12 package to be 'Best Buy' worthy, as well as:
"...a highly impressive system offering top-drawer performance, elegant looks and stunning build quality. Monitor Audio's refined responsive sound works wonders for music, and with movies it delivers one of the most natural and immersive soundstages I've heard."
Silver 6AV12 earns the "Trusted Reviews Recommended" title.
Esteemed reviewer Danny Phillips tests the Silver 6AV12 package, awarding it the Trusted Reviews Recommended title and an overwhelmingly positive review:
"We’re already big fans of Monitor Audio’s sound and Silver 6AV12 does nothing to diminish our admiration. It delivers a powerful yet highly polished performance with movies, easily hitting the level of quality you’d expect for the money."
Superb AV Package Shines
The March 2014 issue of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision magazine features a First Test review of Silver 6AV12, where the 5.1 surround system impressed to the tune of five stars.
"It's talents start with superb build quality extending to a wide range of finishes, and end with sound quality that will worry most rivals."
"The complete Silver package is a deeply impressive performer."
"This is a top notch surround package for the money."
You can read the full review in the March 2014 issue of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision, or download a copy below.
Add a review
You might also like
- Adds deep bass frequencies to architectural speaker systems
- Excels in a range of wall, ceiling, even floor locations
- Range consists of; Sub, Backbox and Amp
- Tri-Grip® clamping system
- Incredibly Discreet
- Wider retrofit possibilities without Backbox
- 18mm MDF cabinet construction with internal bracing
- Cool-running 220W Class D amplifier with switch mode power supply (SMPSU)
- Twin side-firing 10” C-CAM® drivers - one active and one passive ABR
- Low pass filter switch – for LFE or Stereo input selection
- Power switch with ON – Auto- Off/ trigger settings
- Stereo/ LFE RCA inputs
- Luxury 15” C-CAM® subwoofer
- Switch mode power supply
- Powerful 650Watt DSP amplifier
- 12V trigger
- 4 x Remote EQ Settings
- Front mounted Control panel
A very busy and very productive show for Kevro and Monitor Audio...
What to expect from the upcoming show in January 2017...
The Gold 300 has been included in The Absolute Sound's 2017 Buyer's Guide for Floorstanding Loudspeakers.