The Silver 8 has a new three-way design featuring Silver’s 4” C-CAM® RST® mid-range driver flanked by long-throw C-CAM RST 6.5” bass drivers. Introduced for Silver, this specialised configuration is optimised for greater accuracy over a critical frequency band to deliver superb midrange focus and precision as well as extended bass. A taller, shallower cabinet and improved damping allow for greater room position flexibility, while higher sensitivity and impedance make the Silver 8 easier to drive for effortless room-filling dynamics, even in larger spaces.
- Improved C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminium/Magnesium) gold dome tweeter design with damped rear chamber and innovative dome venting technique for improved clarity and wider operating bandwidth.
- Specially developed 4” mid-range driver with ‘under-hung’ voice coil and motor system. The voice coil remains in the magnetic gap ensuring very low distortion - better damping and improved mid-range clarity.
- Dual 6” bass drivers featuring concave ‘dished’ C-CAM cone profile.
- RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) cone profile, for improved diaphragm rigidity and reduced distortion.
- Three-way configuration allows drivers to be optimised to deliver better overall performance.
- Improved cast polymer bass chassis design for better rigidity and reduced reflections.
- HiVe®II port technology delivers smoother airflow for better transient response and tighter bass.
- Single bolt through driver systems for increased overall bracing, rigidity and driver/baffle de-coupling.
- Pureflow® Silver plated OFC copper internal cabling.
- High quality crossovers with premium grade polypropylene film capacitors.
- Available in selected premium quality wood veneers or high gloss finishes.
- Rigid 20mm MDF construction throughout, employing radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet colouration.
- Invisible magnetic grille fixing provides clean visual styling when the grille is off.
- Terminal panel at floor level for easy cable connection.
32Hz - 35kHz
Maximum SPL (dBA)
Power Handling (RMS)
Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS)
80 - 200W
Twin HiVe®II port System
Drive Unit Complement
2 x 6" RST® Bass drivers.
1 x 4" RST Mid-range driver.
1 x 1" (25mm) C-CAM® gold dome tweeter
Cabinet Dimensions: (H x W x D) (Excluding Grille, Terminals & Plinth)
1021 x 245 x 360 mm
(40 3/16 x 9 5/8 x 14 3/16 inch)
Cabinet Dimensions: (H x W x D)(Including Terminals)
1000 x 185 x 300 mm
(39 3/8 x 7 5/16 x 11 13/16 inch)
Cabinet Dimensions: (H x W x D)(Including Grille & Terminals)
1000 x 185 x 323 mm
(39 3/8 x 7 5/16 x 12 11/16 inch)
Cabinet Dimensions: (H x W x D)(Including Plinth & Feet)
1000 x 185 x 335 mm
(39 3/8 x 7 5/16 x 13 3/16 inch)
23.33 Kg (51 lb 6oz)
Canada Hi-Fi Silver 8 Review
"I was not expecting this much involvement from such a modestly priced floorstander. I was testing it alongside a number of higher priced models, and it never embarrassed itself in their company."
"I suspect the gold domed tweeter is responsible for a good part of my satisfaction. It has a wide dispersion so you are not limited to a narrow sweet spot, and it offers excellent extension and strong levels of detail without sounding etched."
"Here the soundstage is wide, with instruments well located within it. It’s a big sound, hypnotic, detailed and fast paced."
"The Silver 8 produces a very punchy rich orchestral sound and conveys good weight in Shostakovich’s Tenth on the Naxos label. Its reflexes are fast, its performance effortless as always, and it is easy to follow the complex structure."
"So there you have it – a very successful package fully competitive with others at its price point and even 25 percent above. It has refinement, wide bandwidth, warmth, speed and tone colour all in its favour, and it seems to take everything easily in its stride."
"If you are looking today for a floor standing speaker for under $3,000, put this right at the top of your audition list. You won’t be sorry."
Figure Of Eight
"Interestingly, the Silver 8 has no real weaknesses..."
"Bass is strong and well articulated, midband crisp yet smooth and the treble beautifully detailed."
"It gives the very pleasant combination of openness and musicality, which proves infectious on Black Uhuru's Party Next Door."
"...far better than most price rivals in its ability to conjure up a cavernous soundstage."
"Indeed, one great talent of the 8 is its ability with vocals; there's a sense of natural ease that makes even the most challenging female voices a pleasure."
"That dome tweeter really is very good, and marries so well with the midrange driver that you'd be forgiven for thinking you were hearing a far more expensive speaker."
"At its price though, to criticise would be churlish, because it's just so darned competent at everything you can throw at it."
"This is an excellent all-round loudspeaker that most will really enjoy... people wanting a really capable design that gets on with the job of playing music in a subtle yet sophisticated way will love it."
- David Price, Hi-Fi Choice, June 2014
AV Forums: Highly Recommended!
Steve Withers, Assistant Editor of AV Forums, has tested our Silver 8 speakers resulting in a Highly Recommended badge and a standout review:
SCORE 9/10: Exciting yet refined sound; Good bass extension; Lovely build and finish; Flexible positioning.
“The design delivers a richly detailed mid-range that retains a wonderful sense of clarity and precise imaging."
“The combination of melancholy vocals, acoustic guitar and some marvellous electric guitar from both Bernard Butler and David Gilmour sounded wonderful on the Silver 8s.”
“The performance was excellent, with the speakers delivering an open and warm soundstage that retained both detail and clarity.”
“...the Silver 8s produced a sound that was rich and refined but also had plenty of range, meaning they can handle just about anything from female vocals to bass heavy rock to a full orchestra.”
“Their combination of looks, build quality and performance make them great value and you definitely won’t be disappointed with their versatility and refinement. Highly Recommended.”
Stereophile Praises Silver 8
"Talk about hopes realized! From the second the system was powered up, the Silver 8s impressed me."
"I heard a welcome clarity in the midrange that gave all music a natural presence..."
"I could hear no fault with the Silver 8 with voices that span the crossover frequency."
"At low levels, the speaker's low end was in good balance, as suggested above, and the louder I pushed them, the more power and impact the Silver 8s delivered, without boom."
"...I found the Silver 8's bass remarkably solid and satisfying."
"There's little to say about the Silver 8's treble. Although it was detailed and extended, it was also smooth and untiring."
"...I can't say that listening in stereo via the Silver 8s was anything less than delightful."
"Their soundstage was deep and, if I wanted to focus on instrument placements instead of the music, there was a wealth of stable detail to appreciate."
"...I'm at a loss to point to any way in which, for its size and price, the Monitor Audio Silver 8 disappointed."
"I've been looking at speakers for $3,000/pair or less for a while, and have not heard any that I would prefer to the Monitor Audio Silver 8."
- Kalman Rubinson, Stereophile, January 2015
HiFi+ Silver 8 Speaker Review
"The overall presentation is hearty and generous, definitely offering a lot of sound for the money."
"Bass from that pair of C-CAM woofers goes very deep..."
"When the price is taken into account, it's quite a package - and as an all-rounder, the Silver 8 delivers a satisfying and well-judged performance."
"...these are fun loudspeakers with a big, confident sound, deep and spacious soundstage, and respectable dynamics."
"...the generous bass and the impact and drive from those two paired bass drivers will satisfy many..."
"They are perfectly capable of raising the hairs on my arms, or making me grin like a loon."
"I think the Monitor Audio has produced an all-rounder in the Silver 8, one that will impress in an AV system, while still satisfying with two channel."
"What I did find, during my time with the Monitor Audio Silver 8s, was that I often just put on music and enjoyed the experience..."
- Steve Dickinson, HiFi+, January 2015
AV Tech Media Awards 2014/2015: Silver 8
Hi-Fi News, Hi-Fi Choice and Home Cinema Choice have teamed up for the AV Tech Media Awards 2014/2015, naming Monitor Audio the winner in two categories!
Our Silver 8 floorstander was named Best Floorstanding Speaker. "Bass is well articulated, midband is crisp yet smooth and treble is beautifully detailed. The Silver 8 delivers a rewarding performance with everything you throw at it, and is sublime at the price."
Read more in the AV Tech Media Awards supplement included with the Awards issues of Hi-Fi News, Hi-Fi Choice and Home Cinema Choice.
Add a review
You might also like
- Ultra long throw 12” driver featuring concave ‘dished’ C-CAM® cone.
- Triple suspended driver for ultimate linearity, ensuring control at high power and long excursions.
- Oversized black anodized 3” driver voice coil provides high power handling and low distortion.
- Powerful 500 watt RMS Class-D amplifier ensures instantaneous high current delivery.
- DSP processing with driver optimisation and crossover performed digitally.
- Monitor Audio developed Automatic Position Correction® (APC) optimises response for room acoustics.
- Luxuriously finished 3-Way floorstander
- Twin 5 1/2” RST® C-CAM® bass drivers
- 4” C-CAM midrange driver with RST
- C-CAM ribbon transducer
- HiVe®II port technology
- Magnetic Grilles (no visible fixings)
- Pivoting C-CAM gold dome tweeter.
- C-CAM bass driver featuring Rigid Surface Technology (RST).
- High overall efficiency.
- High frequency level adjustment (+/-3dB).
- Boundary compensation controls.
- Our innovative Tri-Grip® fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes but provides three times the surface area and a better surface seal, maximising bass response and mid-range clarity.
The Bronze 5.1 system wins prestigious EISA Award for BEST VALUE HT SPEAKER SYSTEM 2016-2017!
"...the Monitor Audio Gold 300s are highly recommended for a long look and listen."
Monitor Audio Facebook and Twitter pages have been created specifically for USA and Canada